This past decade took us all over the cosmos. Physicists produced the first picture of a black hole. A giant rover landed on Mars. A spacecraft visited Pluto for the first time.
Decade in Review: WIRED looks back at the promises and failures of the last 10 years
With data collected by robotic explorers, satellites, and telescopes orbiting the Earth, the last ten years have taught us a lot about the universe we live in, but as with all exploration, more questions now await answers in the decade ahead. This week, we hop around the cosmos as we revisit the highlights of the 2010s.
Still feeling nostalgic? Look back at the rest of the decade’s space photos here.
More Great WIRED Stories
- The war vet, the dating site, and the phone call from hell
- Room to breathe: My quest to clean up my home’s filthy air
- Why the “queen of shitty robots” renounced her crown
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft—who has the greenest cloud?
- Everything you need to know about influencers
- ? Will AI as a field “hit the wall” soon? Plus, the latest news on artificial intelligence
- ??♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team’s picks for the best fitness trackers, running gear (including shoes and socks), and best headphones.