Greetings, and welcome to another edition of The Monitor, WIRED’s culture news roundup. This week’s news has been dominated by politics, but there have been a few interesting tidbits to come from the world of entertainment. For one, there’s a new Beastie Boys documentary coming to Apple TV+. For another, Amazon is getting into the Jack Reacher business. Let’s get going.
Apple TV+ Nabs Spike Jonze’s Beastie Boys Doc
Just when it seemed like there wasn’t a lot of original content on Apple TV+, the streaming service revealed Wednesday that it has picked up a feature documentary from director Spike Jonze about the Beastie Boys. Beastie Boys Story will feature Mike Diamond and Adam Horowitz (Adam Yauch, the third member of the legendary hip-hop group, died in 2012) and will open in IMAX theaters on April 3 before heading to Apple’s streaming service on April 24. Hey Apple, any chance you can get your hands on whatever the hell Jonze was making with Frank Ocean? Asking for a friend.
Netflix’s Taylor Swift Documentary Has a Release Date
Living meme Taylor Swift has a documentary heading to Sundance. It’s true, Miss Americana will open the festival late next week. Fear not, everyone not going to Park City, Utah will be able to see the doc soon enough. Netflix announced this week that it will premiere on the streaming service on January 31. Ready your tissues and reaction GIFs, everyone.
Amazon Is Making Jack Reacher Series
Yes, there’s already been a Jack Reacher movie, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for more Jack Attack content. To that end, Amazon Studios announced this week that it’s greenlighting a new drama series based on the Lee Child’s book series. It’ll be written by Prison Break scribe Nick Santora and the debut season will be based on the novel The Killing Floor. Meanwhile, Amazon also announced this week that it’s signed an overall deal with 12 Years a Slave director Steve McQueen. Big week!
More Great WIRED Stories
- Here’s what directing a Star Wars movie is really like
- Bored with Sunday service? Maybe nudist church is your thing
- The mad scientist who wrote the book on how to hunt hackers
- How the US prepares its embassies for potential attacks
- When the transportation revolution hit the real world
- ? Will AI as a field “hit the wall” soon? Plus, the latest news on artificial intelligence
- ✨ Optimize your home life with our Gear team’s best picks, from robot vacuums to affordable mattresses to smart speakers